Saturday 21 September 2013

Fall Fashion Tips for Teens on a Budget

This last week my whole school went on a retreat at a Bible camp. And it seemed like I left in Summer and got to camp in Fall. I did bring fairly warm clothes along but in a series of unfortunate events which I might explain in a future post, my outfits were a little weird that week. But I have been needing a lot fall clothes recently and I haven't been wanting to spend as much money. I've discovered a lot of things that will help any other teenage girl wanting to get together a fall wardrobe on a budget. Please bear in mind that this is my fashion sense and you may not like all the ideas here. Feel free to adapt or change anything you want.

Tip #1: Know what you already have
This might seem stupid, but many times you can lose track of clothing especially if you box things up for different seasons. Make sure all your warmer clothes are out and in the most visible section of your closet or dresser. Try on any clothes you aren't sure will still fit and donate or throw away anything that doesn't to make room for your new clothes. Make a list of all the things that you need after you know what you already have. 

Tip #2: Wear summer clothes with layers
One of my favorite outfits for fall is a pretty summer dress layered with thick leggings and a cardigan or sweater. It looks very cute and will still keep you warm, plus it's re-using summer clothes you would otherwise not wear! The same concept can be used with jumpers, skirts, and even shorts with colorful leggings if you're adventurous. Layering can transform just about anything. Experiment with this.

{image credit chictopia.com}
Tip #3: Thrift it!
Thrift stores are the best places to get a lot of clothing and most of the stuff there is between 1-10 dollars. Oversized sweaters are the best for fall time and you can find them at almost every thrift store. Sweaters are great because it's almost one size fits all. I find that because I have very long legs it's almost impossible for me to buy pants at the thrift store, but that doesn't mean you can't. (it just means I'm very jealous of you). Check out your local secondhand store, I promise you won't be disappointed OR broke afterwards. 

{image credit bostonianway.wordpress.com}


Tip #4: Buy staples
And no, obviously not the metal kind used to impale papers with. Staples are pieces that go with pretty much everything and are good quality and fit well. They are the things to spend money on as you will wear them the most. Below is my list of fall staples:

  • Thick black leggings 
  • Dark jeans 
  • Button-up black cardigan
  • Oversized warm sweater
  • Warm fall coat or jacket
  • Brown or black mid-length boots
  • Warm socks

Tip #5: Don't be afraid of the internet
Often times you can get great deals on clothing on either online shopping sites or the online version of an actual store. Google whichever item you're thinking of buying and see if you can get it cheaper online (though make sure to look at the return and shipping policies first). 

That's it! I hope you enjoyed these tips and will make use of at least one of them. I have personally used all of them so I can vouch for their effectiveness. Also, it never hurts to ask your parents, especially your mom for a shopping trip. Chances are if you shop with her she'll be more than willing to shell out on some classy pieces you both like.

Happy fall, everyone! 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey random person!
I'm so glad you've taken the time to tell me something. It means so much to me to know that I'm being read and heard. Thank you, thank you, thank you *Grovels*